- Sooji / Suji / Semolina – 1/2 Cup
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Carrot 1/2
- Salt to taste
- Dhania / Cilantro fresh
- Peas – a handful
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Water – 11/2 cup
- Garam Masala Powder – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – to taste
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- ½ tsp
Steps to be followed
- Heat a wok and dry roast the suji.
- Chop onions and carrots finely.
- Heat another wok/pan, add ½ tsp oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and let it sputter.
- Add chopped onions, carrots & peas to the mustard seeds and cover the pan.
- Add salt to the onions and stir occasionally.
- Once the vegetables turn soft and golden brown in colour, add Suji.
- Now add water and seasonings.
- Mix well and let it cook by covering the pan for few minutes
- Once the water is soaked by the suji (semoulina), cook the upma without covering the pan stirring occasionally for few minutes
- Add Cilantro and Lemon juice. Serve hot
(Adding vegetables like cauliflower/ potatoes makes it a healthier option for kids as well)